The Marsha P Johnson Institute
Part Time Position
Who We Are
The Marsha P. Johnson Institute (MPJI) protects and defends the human rights of BLACK transgender people. We do this by organizing, advocating, creating an intentional community to heal, developing transformative leadership, and promoting our collective power. We intend to reclaim Marsha P. Johnson and our relationship as BLACK trans people to her life and legacy. It is in our reclaiming of Marsha that we give ourselves permission to reclaim autonomy to our minds, to our bodies, and to our futures. We were founded both as a response to the murders of BLACK trans women and women of color and how that is connected to our exclusion from social justice issues, namely racial, gender, and reproductive justice, as well as gun violence.
We invite members to learn about who Marsha P. Johnson was while exploring themselves as well. MPJI seeks to eradicate systemic, community, and physical violence that silences our community from actualizing freedom, joy, and safety.
We were created to elevate, support, and nourish the voices of BLACK trans people. Our community is made up of BLACK trans people and those committed to undoing white supremacy in all of its forms. Our space is intended for the sole purpose of bettering the BLACK trans community across the diaspora.
We believe that BLACK people are the future. We are committed to this organization always being led by the most radical BLACK trans people whose imaginations exist beyond the confines of the state. We invite all qualified BLACK trans people to apply to be a part of our passionate staff.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the website manager with MPJI is responsible for maintaining organizational website(s) and one or more web based software systems.
The Website Manager will be an analytical thinker and collaborative self-starter who brings hands-on comfort with the technical aspects of the job, strong communication skills, and the ability to plan the most effective path forward through complex projects.
This is primarily a telecommuting position, however the website manager assists/attends staff meetings and events as needed.
- Participate as a contributing member of MPJI
- Communicate with the MPJI team regarding updates to the website
- Has working knowledge of Photoshop or other image-processing software
- Attends workshops and webinars that help strengthen knowledge on web security and team building
- Lead and guide website designers if needed
- This position may work alone, or in team arrangement with other web programmers/developers
- Confer with the Executive Director and assigned respective staff personnel regularly to identify information processing needs to determine how the desired results can be achieved
- Analyze existing systems and programs and develops or recommends new systems or modifications to existing systems
- Responsible for all or part of analysis, design, coding, testing and support for new or existing systems
- Maintain and updates content for The MPJI website, with responsibilities for technological aspects as well as site content
- Additional responsibilities include ongoing web strategy and overseeing website operation, with particular attention to design, content and site maintenance
- Update website content, including information, images, calendar content, schedules, graphics, etc., according to the changing needs of the Institute
- Work with the Digital Manager and Communications Manager, to plan, maintain, enhance and develop MPJI’s presence
Site Content Responsibilities
- Create, maintain and implement robust, secure and usable web content
- Such as events, news articles, members corner, donation corner, etc
- Update general content as requested periodically by Executive Director and Communications team
- Troubleshoot any problems with the website
- Work with Digital Manager to facilitate the Institute’s vision for the website and its programs
- Assist with the review of site statistics and analytics
- Excellent communication and writing skills, including spelling, grammar, punctuation as well as composition, editing and proofing
- At least 2 years experience managing web properties
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Photoshop (or similar program)
- Adept at social media platforms and online content management systems
- Proficiency in website design and website maintenance, both on a daily level and for larger website-related projects
- Understanding of MPJI’s backdoor code and programming.
- Expertise in design, graphics and layout related to non-profit websites
- Possess web writing and design skills
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Interpersonal/collaboration skills
- Ability to communicate effectively in verbal and written communication; understand and follow written and oral instructions
- Time management skills, proficient working alone and with other team members.
- Ability to handle stressful situations in a professional manner
- Information technology skills
- Working knowledge of html, word processing, spreadsheets, and other
All MPJI staff should be
- Personable with a good sense of humor
- Solution-oriented with the ability to counter balance problems with creative solutions
- Energetic and committed to working in an entrepreneurial environment with the ability to prioritize responsibilities while delivering timely and accurate work product
The Marsha P Johnson Institute is an equal opportunity employer, we value and seek a diverse workforce.