Director of Programs
The Marsha P Johnson Institute
Full Time Position
Who We Are
The Marsha P. Johnson Institute (MPJI) protects and defends the human rights of BLACK transgender people. We do this by organizing, advocating, creating an intentional community to heal, developing transformative leadership, and promoting our collective power. We intend to reclaim Marsha P. Johnson and our relationship as BLACK trans people to her life and legacy. It is in our reclaiming of Marsha that we give ourselves permission to reclaim autonomy to our minds, to our bodies, and to our futures. We were founded both as a response to the murders of BLACK trans women and women of color and how that is connected to our exclusion from social justice issues, namely racial, gender, and reproductive justice, as well as gun violence.
We invite members to learn about who Marsha P. Johnson was while exploring themselves as well. MPJI seeks to eradicate systemic, community, and physical violence that silences our community from actualizing freedom, joy, and safety.
We were created to elevate, support, and nourish the voices of BLACK trans people. Our community is made up of BLACK trans people and those committed to undoing white supremacy in all of its forms. Our space is intended for the sole purpose of bettering the BLACK trans community across the diaspora.
We believe that BLACK people are the future. We are committed to this organization always being led by the most radical BLACK trans people whose imaginations exist beyond the confines of the state. We invite all qualified BLACK trans people to apply to be a part of our passionate staff.
This new position, Director of Programs, will provide strategic leadership, supervision, and training to the program staff and client related volunteers. This position oversees the planning, implementation and evaluation of all MPJI programs, in accordance with MPJI’s goals and objectives. Expands and strengthens a positive community image and develops staff and volunteers in a manner that reflects the vision, mission and goals of MPJI. The Director of Programs is an integral part of the Senior Level Leadership Team and will work closely with the Executive Director, Director of Operations, and the Director of Development to ensure overall organizational compliance and quality programming. The Director of Programs is the primary liaison between the program staff and the Executive Leadership. S/he (They) provide feedback, insight, and solutions to the senior team as to the needs of staff and clientele. The Director of Programs will be responsible for building the department programs and staff structure.
Management and Supervision
- Provides direct supervision to the program management team and assigned staff. Includes responsibility for recruitment, hiring, evaluation and termination of direct reports. In conjunction with the management team, responsible for overall supervision of program staff and volunteers.
- Assures that programs are properly staffed, directs management activities and supports the management team to recruit, hire, assign, supervise, evaluate and terminate program staff.
- Develops and implements processes that promote consistent expectations for performance among management and staff.
- Complete annual staff evaluations and design performance plans for direct reports. Ensure effective performance management for program staff.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Provides support and training to the program team and assigned staff. This includes, but is not limited to, orientation to services, service delivery procedures, managing records, crisis intervention, and problem resolution. In coordination with management, designs and implements professional development activities for program staff and provides oversight of staff and volunteer training and development opportunities.
- Provides all other aspects of staff support/supervision as needed.
Program Planning and Implementation
- In collaboration with the leadership team, funding sources, and other affiliated MPJI staff, responsible for the development and coordination of MPJI wide services. Continually seeks ways to improve or enhance services.
- Responsible for ensuring that services are provided in a manner that meets the support needs of each individual and simultaneously addresses safety and emergency procedures. This includes implementing procedures to handle crisis intervention.
- Ensure client-centeredness and cultural appropriateness of programs and services in keeping with MPJI’s goals and values.
- In coordination with the Executive Director and leadership team, develops annual departmental goals in keeping with MPJI’s strategic goals and client feedback. • Provides oversight of all program records including statistical data, financial records, contractual reporting, and other program-related documents to ensure an above-average audit by any and all auditing agencies.
- Coordinates all other aspects of service delivery as needed.
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, participates in the development and monitoring of the fiscal aspects of the programs. This includes contractual reporting on service goals and objectives and assuring adequate financing for program operating needs and long-term goals.
- Participates in the organizational budget process, providing leadership, context and communication concerning programmatic and staffing needs. This includes quarterly financial budget reviews and oversight pertaining to programmatic contracts and grants.
- Minimum of a BA, MA preferred
- At least 5+ years of experience in nonprofit field with at least 3 years in a management role
- Demonstrated success developing and evaluating program models, and selecting and successfully operationalizing innovative programs
- Proficient in using technology as a management reporting tool and experience working with information technology staff to develop and implement program evaluation systems
- Strong project management skills managing complex, multifaceted projects resulting in measurable successes and program growth
- Strength in hiring, recruiting, managing, developing, coaching, and retaining individuals and teams, empowering them to elevate their levels of responsibility, span-of-control and performance
- Deep understanding of human resources, employee performance improvement plans, and corrective action policies
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with exceptional attention to details • Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to and passion for MPJI’s mission
All MPJI staff should be
- Personable with a good sense of humor
- Solution-oriented with the ability to counterbalance problems with creative solutions • Energetic and committed to working in an entrepreneurial environment with the ability to prioritize responsibilities while delivering timely and accurate work product
The Marsha P Johnson Institute is an equal opportunity employer, we value and seek a diverse workforce.
Location and salary
During the COVID-19 pandemic, this position is remote. Once it is safe to return to work in person, this position will be located in New York City. The salary range is between $85,000 and $95,000 annually based on experience.