Director of Operations
The Marsha P Johnson Institute
Full Time Position
Who We Are
The Marsha P. Johnson Institute (MPJI) protects and defends the human rights of BLACK transgender people. We do this by organizing, advocating, creating an intentional community to heal, developing transformative leadership, and promoting our collective power. We intend to reclaim Marsha P. Johnson and our relationship as BLACK trans people to her life and legacy. It is in our reclaiming of Marsha that we give ourselves permission to reclaim autonomy to our minds, to our bodies, and to our futures. We were founded both as a response to the murders of BLACK trans women and women of color and how that is connected to our exclusion from social justice issues, namely racial, gender, and reproductive justice, as well as gun violence.
We invite members to learn about who Marsha P. Johnson was while exploring themselves as well. MPJI seeks to eradicate systemic, community, and physical violence that silences our community from actualizing freedom, joy, and safety.
We were created to elevate, support, and nourish the voices of BLACK trans people. Our community is made up of BLACK trans people and those committed to undoing white supremacy in all of its forms. Our space is intended for the sole purpose of bettering the BLACK trans community across the diaspora.
We believe that BLACK people are the future. We are committed to this organization always being led by the most radical BLACK trans people whose imaginations exist beyond the confines of the state. We invite all qualified BLACK trans people to apply to be a part of our passionate staff.
Under the general direction of Executive Director, the Director Operations will provide oversight and management for MPJI operations that includes: Accounting, Human Resources, Information Technology and Facilities. The incumbent directs and coordinates all operational functions to assist in the development and implementation of short and long range planning and forecasting. He/she will create structures, processes and systems necessary to manage the organization’s current operational activities and its projected growth. The incumbent will establish and maintain a “customer service” model that provides quality service and provides an opportunity for evaluation. He/she will manage and maintain effective relationships with internal customers, contractors, business partners, external auditors and a variety of stakeholders. He/she will assist the Executive Director in establishing processes and procedures that are aligned with the MPJI’s core values and facilitates achieving desired outcomes.
The primary responsibilities of the Director of Administration/Operations are to improve processes and policies, introduce and deploy best practices, manage administrative staff and play a proactive role in long-term organizational and strategic planning.
- Support and advise the Executive Director in decision making
- Coordinate with the CEO on physical office space in order to maintain employee efficiency and productivity
- Develop and manage budget for the administrative functions, reviews operating costs and suggests cost saving measures.
- Oversee administrative functions for all MPJI locations ensuring smooth daily operations
- Oversee risk management and legal activities: letters of agreement, contracts, leases, and other legal documents and agreements
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality
- As needed, work with the building, contractors and staff to design, maintain and upgrade space
- Serve as a liaison for Human Resource activities and talent management initiatives, working in collaboration with MPJI’s outsourced human resources team
- Manage payroll for the organization, including paid time off benefit
- Oversight and evaluation of network administration and telecom in addition to other information systems
- Manage internal coordination and team communication to ensure staff are connected and informed of organizational goals and initiatives
- Bachelors Degree or the equivalent years of experience.
- 7+ years of aligned professional experience
- Experience in nonprofit administration, operations, and/or human resources
- Maintain levels of confidentiality
- Superior problem solving and collaborative skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to the mission, philosophy and vision of MPJI
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills Intellectually curious, strategic thinker with strong sense of ownership.
- Evidence of the practice of a high level of confidentiality.
- Ability to interact effectively at all organizational levels, both internally and externally.
- Demonstrated experience high level collaborations related to budget and resource development/analysis, strategic planning, personnel management, and developing/monitoring IT systems that manage both operations and programmatic work.
All MPJI staff should be
- Personable with a good sense of humor
- Solution-oriented with the ability to counter balance problems with creative solutions
- Energetic and committed to working in an entrepreneurial environment with the ability to prioritize responsibilities while delivering timely and accurate work product
The Marsha P Johnson Institute is an equal opportunity employer, we value and seek a diverse workforce.
Location and Salary
During the COVID-19 pandemic, this position is remote. Once it is safe to return to work in
person, this position will be located in New York City. The salary range is between $85,000 and
$100,000 annually based on experience.